joshua tree workshop 2018

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Secret Door in A Small Seattle House!


 I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE secret passageways. Perhaps it was infused in me from movies like "The Goonies" when I was a kid, or the TV show "Webster" (if anyone remembers that), but I just can't resist clicking on links, videos, articles, and tours of homes with secret passages.....

SO.....I was thrilled to come across one face to face while filming episode of my show "Tiny Yellow House" out in Seattle earlier this year (with Christopher Smith, one of the two (with Merete Mueller) behind the much anticipated "Tiny: The Movie").
     You might have seen my video tour of Hal Colombo's 68 square foot tiny guest house (complete with a mechanical, garage-door murphy bed!) this past summer, but Hal's main house itself was actually twice as wild! Sadly, we didn't have time to film it, but I hope to return at some point- it was just TOO good of a time. The old video is below- and check out this secret Scooby-Doo-like bathroom door. This bookcase is SOLID, and hung on massive hinges, yet it swings with ease!

The big ole hinges are the giveaway, but its really well designed, and the door gives way to an under-the-staircase bathroom.

Hal's home, overall, is about 600 or so square feet, from what I remember him telling me. As for the guest house, YES,  you can rent it by the night- over on airbnb.com. Hal also plays in a really cool surf/garage rock band called "The Vacant Stairs".

Funky Junk! I love it! You could spend a few hours in his living room looking around and never unearth, or ask about, all that you wanted to know and see. 

Filming the show, at like 6am (after that hellish flight), BEFORE heading off to speak at the Tumbleweed Tiny House Workshop.

IF YOU MISSED THE VIDEO TOUR....



-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen