joshua tree workshop 2018

Thursday, July 26, 2012

SIX FREE PLAN SETS for Tiny Houses/Cabins/Shedworking Offices...

FIRST, want to be part of our THIRD "Relaxshacks.com Tiny House/Building Workshop" outside Boston, MA?- well, we'll have more details, a full guest speaker roster, and more soon- email me at kidcedar at gmail dot com if you are interested, WHILE WE HAVE SPACE LEFT! We will limit this to 15-20 people to keep it intimate. There will be a group building project too, and you'll get to see about 4-5 of my mini cabins, designs, and more. Nov 2-3 is when it will take place, with a possible third day.... We already have some REALLY COOL guests lined up- you'll see....

In Vermont at "Tiny House Summer Camp" Photo by Jon Kalish-
AND....
Here's a lil' list of FOUR free sets of tiny house, cabin, and/or shed plans- ones that I feel are pretty decent- well, ESPECIALLY considering the price! If anyone has any other links to free plans, let me know, or comment below, as I'd like to start a running archive of free plans (something I'd like to offer and develop down the road myself). That said, check some of these out....

1. Lester Walker's "Living Cube"- This cabin, one of my favorite's since I was a kid, is also pretty fully hashed out in Walker's book "Tiny, Tiny Houses"- a book you've probably seen and heard me post/talk about many times- it was THE BOOK that got me addicted to tiny housing, when I received it for my tenth birthday. I linked it, and a few other very noteworthy tiny books here....





2. POPULAR SCIENCE DOME HOME- I just LOVE the old art, and layout of the Popular Science, Family Handyman, and Family Circle plan sets of old. This one is a great example, and while I'm not overly enamored with dome homes myself, there's no denying that this is a cool little idea for a home, and that domes still do have their followers and fans. This one buds for you!


http://www.popsci.com/archive-viewer?id=1T4ORu6EICkC&pg=111&query=heap+o+planning+

3. Michael Janzen's Free Pre-fabbin' Cabin (We also have a link to some other REALLY cool cabin plan sets from Michael down in the lower RIGHT HAND column of this blog). Here's a really cool free set though...easy to build, and good lookin'.
CLICK HERE: http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Tiny-Prefab-v1.pdf


4. Jamaica Cottage Shop's Free Shed Plans- EASILY convertible into a tiny vacation cabin/cottage or even a cool shed office or fort! I LOVE some of the designs from Vermont's "Jamaica Cottage Shop"- one of my favorite's being "The Writer's Haven"- so be sure to check out the rest of their offerings! You have to join their mailing list to get the plans, but the stuff that occasionally comes across in their email offerings is all really cool tiny house and shed related material. At least check out some of their models at www.JamaicaCottageShop.com

Above: The Writer's Retreat- its not the one you get free plans for, but I believe the sell plans for this VERY VERY affordable. Its one of my all-time favorite tiny cabins.

CLICK HERE for MORE PHOTOS OF THIS CABIN... http://relaxshacks.blogspot.com/2012/01/writers-haven-tiny-guest-housecabin.html

5. Michael Janzen's TINY FREE PALLET HOUSE- pretty self explanatory....Pallets are EVERYWHERE, so why not put them to use? 
             http://www.tinypallethouse.com/2008/08/build-the-shipping-pallet-floor/

 
6. EDGAR BLAZONA'S MD-100 Modular Shelter- We've posted it here before, but here is a link to the very thorough plans from Mr. Blazona- a really modern, simple, and fun cabin, that can be built for approximately $2000 or so by today's prices. This plan set originally debuted through Readymade Magazine.



Again, if you know of more FREE plans for cabins, sheds, of tiny houses, post them in the comments section below and I'll eventually archive them in a running list for all to see/enjoy.

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen