Tiny House Summer Camp 4

Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Treehouse a in Brooklyn Backyard.....and my NEW video on a $200 shelter/hut/vacation cabin

Photos by Trevor Tondro for the New York Times- some GREAT shots!
 Thanks to Jon Kalish from NPR for passing on this one....and I LOVE its incorporation of recycled and second-hand materials. Its so simple, and even "klunky", but therein lies the charm of this place.


AND- here's a new mini video I shot, based on a tiny, pre-fabricated, shelter, single-sleeper, or micro vacation cabin that we built at our 2011 Relaxshacks.com Workshop- based on designs and sketches of mine (some from my book).

FILE UNDER: Tree fort, Treehome, Treehouses, Clubhouses, Hand Built Homes

Only $11.53- the NEW edition of my book- click on the Amazon link on the left hand column of the blog. 

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen

1 comment:

  1. Your site continues to be a source of inspiration and resources. I like the idea of building around trees rather than cutting them down. But I am wondering how the growth of a tree over years will effect the structure. Will the tree simply continue to grow into the new structure. I have seen a satellite screwed into a a tree and after many years it's base is several inches embedded into the wood with the trunk growing around it. This leaves a lot to think about. In order to remove the satellite now I will have to literally carve it out. I am not sure how the tree will respond after this is done. Building guides recommend a fair distance away from any forest due to bug infestation. I agree to keep the bugs out, but don't agree to be that far from the trees. Trees can provide a good shelter from rain and sun damage. Trees let small portions of sun through versus clear cutting and being open to the full rays. Trees filter our air naturally we need them in good proportions.