joshua tree workshop 2018

Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Redneck candle/coffee can "Flashlight" rig/hack (wall candles for your cabin)

This is the kinda stuff I love, and some of the style-ideas I tried to load my "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks" book with....and the new edition will have MORE of that. I'm a total sucker for this kind of simple ingenuity.


     This one comes from Lloydkahn.com- via his longtime buddy Louie.
So damn simple, yet effective. The interior metal of a coffee can serves as a no-budget, curved reflector for the light, and as a wind housing, preventing it from easily going out.

My new book has a semi-similar idea- using coffee cans and wall mounting them to hold candles (in a safe manor) for light in ones tiny home, cabin, or vacation camp (or even for emergency use). You can do the same with glass jars, so long as they're vented and angled in a manor that doesn't collect carbon/soot.


 At least one of Lloyd's book through Shelter Publications WILL be in my upcoming blog post and video for my "Top Ten Tiny House/Small Living/Micro Architecture Books"- which I'll be working on real soon....

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen