joshua tree workshop 2018

Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Micro Office Makeover- FLOOR STORAGE ("FLOORAGE") for your tiny house

UNDER FLOOR STORAGE IN YOUR TINY HOME OR OFFICE:
Well, with 1000 projects going on, a 3 Day NC Tiny House-Building Workshop coming up (April 26th-28th), two kids, two bands, a hosting gig for the DIY Network, another book contract signed/in the works, and well, all the other things that come with life, my micro closet office, or "Cloffice", had gotten a little messy as of lately.....SO I figured a lil' makeover was in order. (Note: The rest of the room to the left is clean....)

BEFORE

AFTER
"No, you can't have my vintage vhs copy of 'Tremors'!"

In the photo above, the closet makeover is not 100% complete, but its getting there. The new space acts as a little reading/play nook for my kids, which they love- its very fort-like, and if I have to do any computer work while at home, they're inches behind me, so that I can keep an eye on them.

HOW? TACTICS....
Basically, I utilized the under-stair shelving I had installed (on stairs I also had built a few years ago, the office too...) for storage of books, magazines, and future giveaway items for the blog, AND.....I built what I call "FLOORAGE". Floorage is the building of a thin, boxed, floor section, ON TOP of an existing floor. Its almost like building a stage, but one that is hollow, and opens up for access and storage within. Mine was made of a few 2by6's and some left over tongue and groove cedar I had. Slap an Ikea rug and a pillow or two on top of that, and Whammo!- a simple under-stair-office makeover!


TOTAL BUDGET- $45.00

Naturally, some of the items I parted with, or moved elsewhere, but believe it or not, most everything fit in here, AND there's a little room to spare... The edge of the storage/floorage box also has a nice stained/trim edge now, which isn't shown in this photo.

I talk about this a lil' bit in my book "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks", but will expand on more of these style ideas in the next book I've been working on....
-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen