joshua tree workshop 2018

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

NEW VIDEO- a look at my houseboat/mini-shantyboat project....."The Sea Snail"


      I'm a HUGE fan of the books of Harlan and Anna Hubbard- if you've never read 'em, tiny housers everywhere, they're AMAZING and inspirational in a "living on less" kind of way- all on the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. I also recently came across another cool shantyboat book, recently re-released, called "Mostly Mississippi"- by Harold Speakman- I really enjoyed it. Toss in some other books like "Atchafalaya Houseboat" (LOVED it, but too short), and a collection of houseboat and floating homes, and one begins to see that I'm an addict.
     Now, I don't have the money, time, or space to build a real-deal, large houseboat- yet- so here's what I've been messing with: Its a 14' Grumman Jon Boat (a flat bottomed bass fishing-style boat) that I'm converting into a tiny floating, cabin cruiser. I host Tumbleweed's Miami workshop this coming weekend, but once I'm back I'm gonna really start hammering away at this new project- and others in prep for our July 6,7,8,9th "Tiny House Summer Camp" in Vermont- kidcedar at gmail dot com if you might be interested (and check out some of our other recent posts for details).  -Derek "Deek" Diedricksen
         I linked some of those houseboat books I mentioned below, if you might be interested.....




-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen