joshua tree workshop 2018

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TIRE'd of seeing old tires laying around? Another recycling use....


    From the Sanford n' Son School of Landscaping?? We talked about a slew of ideas for reusing tires when it comes to tiny house construction and design, but here's one more, in a photo that was too fun and colorful to pass up....I'm not sure if there's some internal framing (I would think so) or if the tires are merely bolted together in some fashion. This "conversation" all started with an email from a reader after he saw some of my ideas in my book "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks"- from using tires as a small cabin's base, to filling them with concrete and pre-set bolts to use as walkway supports (for building/access on swampy (more affordable) land).

Here's a link to the other post with a TON of ideas. TEN OTHER USES FOR OLD TIRES

 I'm actually now off to pick up a CASE of old (never used) bicycle inner tubes (closely related enough) from VELO BICYCLES in Canton, MA (Thank You) for an upcoming project for my "Tiny Yellow House" show. My father-in-law, Paul Bendix, also just mentioned today that he has access to over 1000 brand new marching drumsticks (his gun club was using them for firewood otherwise)- so I'll be scheming some use for those down the road.  -Derek "Deek" Diedricksen