joshua tree workshop 2018

Friday, December 23, 2011

THREE more tiny house concept sketches- Humble Homes, Simple Shacks outtakes... Part two!

Well, the scanner's back up and running, but I'll be up and running soon too, as I have some holiday company arriving any minute now, so perhaps tomorrow I'll explain the backstory on these NEVER BEFORE POSTED outtakes from the sketch and design sessions leading up to "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks"- the NEW and EXPANDED EDITION. Click here to check out the reviews (From The NY Times, to The Boston Globe, Jay Shafer, Lester Walker, etc)....

And these stand as sketches #19, #20, and #21 in our "SIXTY SHACK SKETCHES IN SIXTY DAYS" series..... all designs and sketches by myself.

"A swamp hut of the future". Just for fun....
A quick, rough, shantyboat scene/sketch for possible use (among several others I've done) for a Shantyboat/Houseboat book by Bryan Lowe of Shantyboatliving.com
This was one of the sketches for the tiny, tiny, tiny island Dustin and I visited (to buy) in Maine (only $3500!- which was sold from under our feet by a snake of a realtor- a guy was a total jerk who couldn't even lie well). We shot a video (my first flip video ever and THE reason I bought the camera (an impulse buy) on the way) on it, which is posted below. Little would I know how much use that little $170 camera would see!
I still get ticked off when I watch this video- this pond was among the cleanest I've ever seen! The plan was to toss the sketch/cabin, seen above, in a tree on the island, after floating it, pre-built, on a platform to the island. We checked some codes, and so on, and this seemed a loop hole so as to be able to build on such a postage-stamp-sized piece of land. It was to be "delivered" and erected in a matter of hours.


-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen