joshua tree workshop 2018

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Shacks, Camps, and Log Cabins of D.C. (Daniel Carter) Beard

     D.C. Beard, a huge name in the founding and building of the Boy Scouts organization, was a VERY notable author and illustrator back in his day- and luckily for us, most of his books/works are still in print (and still sell very well apparently). A ways back I listed a post on my "Top Ten Tiny House Books" and D.C. Beard's famous "Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties" was in that very list.


     More recently, review-wise, I purchased "The Field And Forest Handy Book" (much like "The American Boys Handy Book" in style), and for a mere five bucks and change, with free shipping, NEW, I have to say it was a hell of a steal! Yes, some of the info and illustrations amongst his other books overlaps (partly because of so many reprint and new publishing company changeovers through the years), and you may never need to know how to trail-pack a horse, or cook a muskrat, but half of that unnecessary information is part of the eclectic charm of it all! Of course, there are passages on tool and axe use, log cabin building, naturally thatched huts, tiny woodsman abodes, and more...


As you can see, the sketches are just incredible too! My great grandfather, alive around the D.C. Beard era (Theodore Diedricksen) had a fairly similar style as was the head professor of art at Yale University. I often wonder if the two ever met, as I'm sure they were aware of each other's work. Theodore Diedricksen was also the illustrator of many books (adult and children's alike), and had his work displayed at many galleries, and commissioned for large sporting events. Even as recently as a year or two ago, there was a showing of his art at a Connecticut gallery.

As for my sloppier work- lol....again, the NEW and EXPANDED version of my book "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks" is now up on Amazon.com for pre-order, and from now until its release, I'll be posting many new sketches (unreleased ones- NOT in "Humble Homes") that I've been sitting on....for the fun of it, and yes, the help promote the book (as I'd love them to ask me to do another, if this one does well enough).

So #11 in "SIXTY SHACK SKETCHES IN SIXTY DAYS"....is a single-sleeper, micro-hut, with the intent of birdwatching, in mind. Its a spin off the traditional bird blind that you might find in nature preserves. Below that IS a micro-houseboat/shantyboat sketch and design of mine that you WILL find in "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks (Lyons Press)".



Recommended D.C. Beard Books...



-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen