joshua tree workshop 2018

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

An abandoned tiny shack/cabin in Iceland....

"SIXTY SHACK SKETCHES IN SIXTY DAYS", TWO of 'em, are coming later today. All part of the countdown to my new-edition book "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks" (up now on Amazon.com) But first, a tiny little cottage/small house, sadly in neglect, in Iceland....


 All I can find is "photo by Oskar Steinn"- who, obviously, has a great eye. For those who have never been, Iceland is pretty amazing (amazingly expensive too- especially for alcohol/food). Years back I went there for three nights as part of an obscenely affordable travel package in the off season, and had a great time. Its unlike any landscape I have ever seen- almost purely volcanic rock, and very few trees to be found, making for a "moon-like", other-planetary, effect. Most of the homes are now built from a good deal of aluminum paneling, as alot of their lumber has to be imported, and it therefore expensive!
     Anyway, I just loved this photo, and the red roof especially, to me, its calendar-worthy....great work Oskar!

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen