joshua tree workshop 2018

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Bookmobile (tiny book store-slash-micro camper)- designed for Cedar Crest College

Recently an individual by the name of Chimae Cupschalk bought a copy of my book "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks..." and has since been in communication with me over a project, and a very unique and fun one, that a very good amount of time is being poured into in order to make this a reality. Chimae is planning (and VERY soon I understand) to embark on the construction of a mobile/portable "bookmobile" for Cedar Crest College in PA- which sounds like a really cool, and open-minded school.
   Anyway, Chimae had asked me a ways back for some ideas, and here's one of them. I feel the sketch is somewhat shoddy, but the idea is there....or at least some ideas from which Chimae can hopefully pull some direction or inspiration. Naturally, as with most of my micro-structure/house designs, this little mobile kiosk also has the built-in possibilities of being a sleep-able vending cart (say, for the homeless, or street vendors/merchants, or even for music festivals (Burning Man, Coachella, etc).

A bookmobile (sleepable-vending kiosk) designed by myself (Derek Diedricksen)- this particular sketch is NOT in my book, but it may appear in the next one, where I've already amassed 60 or so new tiny house, small cabin designs.
 Chimae- we wish you the best of luck, and would love to see photos when you actually get to building whatever you decide upon.

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen