joshua tree workshop 2018

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Inspiration for a Shipping Container Tiny House/Cabin

Upcoming- more guests will be announced for our Tiny House-Building Workshop in Wilmington, NC- April 26th-28th (2013)! THREE DAYS of Building a Tiny House Together! This will be limited to 25 attendees.....


As for these photos....I took these while out in Chicago when I was teaching another tiny house building workshop for the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company. The workshop was a ton of fun, great people all around, great feedback, and it also gave me a chance to wander around one of my favorite cities! I first visited Chicago in 1996 while touring the U.S. with a punk band, and I fell in love with that town instantly. The art, architecture, and food- its all amazing! This workshop was my 4th visit there, and I'd love to go back.
     Shown here, is a sculpture near the Navy Pier, that, to me, sets up a very simple and clever arrangement for the building of a tiny shipping container, or "conex box", home. These homes are becoming more and more popular, and entire books have even been devoted to their existence. While these were mere 4' by 8' models made out of routed plywood, their arrangement provides for a connected second story, AND a shaded car port, or deck area, beneath. I like how they are stacked at an angle too- I feel it makes the set-up less boxy, and less predictable.


These might also make for a great screened-in tree house/fort in the woods! Imagine how great they would look while lit up at night! Like a giant ornamental candle!



All photos by Derek "Deek" Diedricksen