Jamaica Cottage Shop

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

North Carolina Relaxshacks.com Workshop Announced! SIGN UP DETAILS...

HANDS-ON Tiny House Building Workshop with DIY Network Host, Author, Designer, Builder, and Blogger Derek "Deek" Diedricksen

We're talking almost 35-40 hours of contact, building, demos, networking, and MORE! 
It looks like we'll ALSO have a tiny house on wheels visiting us, courtesy of 
TENNESSEE TINY HOMES! We're excited to meet builder Joe, and see what he's done! 


Want to learn how to build a tiny house/cabin? Better yet, want to build one?? 
 Here's your chance, and we're limiting this workshop to only 25 total, so as to keep it intimate. Sign up details are below....

JUST ANNOUNCED- EACH ATTENDEE WILL RECEIVE THESE DOOR GIFTS!!!!
A $120+ Value!

Plans for The Sonoma Shanty Cabin from Kent Griswold!
6 months of Kent's Tiny House Magazine
Lloyd Kahn's AWESOME BOOK "Tiny Homes, Simple Shelter"
Tiny House plan sets from COZYHOMEPLANS.com
DON VARDO/gypsy wagon plans from Dee Williams and the P.A.D. Crew!
Plans for The Darrington Cabin....the one we'll all be building
and more......
Its $120+ worth of door gifts for just signing up!

We'll also be giving away a few copies of my book "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks" leading up to this
event.

Deek in his off-grid Vermont cabin, which he started building at Age 21. 

 Above: "The Light Box" a tiny/micro trailer house we all built at our last workshop....

 April 26th-28th- Tiny House-Building Workshop #4

I never planned on doing many of these, but the first three I did were so much fun and all of them sold out, so I figured, why not do one somewhere warmer?

So North Carolina it is!
Wilmington, NC, to be precise... 

 This workshop will be a team up with Steven Harrell of Tinyhouselistings.com and Tinyhouseswoon.com - a THREE DAY, HANDS-ON, WORKSHOP where we'll collectively build a tiny house! This will be another workshop that will be limited in size, so as to keep it intimate- 25 people or so is the maximum, so if interested, you might not want to wait too long on this. $399 for the three day event. Some food, snacks, coffee, materials, workbooks, and more, are all included.

GUEST SPEAKERS/DEMOS from...

  -Kent Griswold of Tinyhouseblog.com (making the trek from CA)
-Alex Pino (FL)- To Discuss Downsizing Techniques (from TinyHouseTalk.com)
-Laura LaVoie- Tiny House Dweller and Builder 120SquareFeet.com
-Steven Harrell- co/hosting, and the man behind Tinyhouseswoon.com and Tinyhouselistings.com
and JUST ADDED.... 
Dustin Diedricksen- Environmental Engineer, Small House Dweller, Tiny House Builder.....
Andrew Odom- Builder/Dweller/Blogger- TinyRevolution.us
Ryan Mitchell- Builder and Thetinylife.com 
and we might STILL have more!~  

PLUS....
-Campfire discussions at night
-Pizza Party/Cocktail meet n' greet/networking hang-out
-Salvage Construction Demonstrations
-How to Save THOUSANDS While Building Your Own Tiny House
-What NOT to do when building and designing your own tiny home....
-Tricks Of The Trade and Techniques
-Tool Safety, Selection, and "Old School Tools" (Tools Deek still uses on off grid jobs)
-Designing and tips for space efficiency
-Alternative Building Techniques And Approaches
-Giveaways

These are just some of the things we'll be covering as we all collectively build and design a tiny house/guest house.


Below is one of the potential designs we may be tackling this time- its simple, and only about 100 square feet in size, but still incorporates a large array of the techniques you'll want experience with, from framing, leveling, and joist laying, to cutting bird mouth notches, insulating, window and door installation, and more! The flyer far above shows a more updated idea/plan....

 Or....Another possibility....

SIGN UP HERE:
While we have room left....
email deek- kidcedar@gmail.com for info on check/mo's
  
Deek's Bio:
Derek "Deek" Diedricksen hosts the DIY Building program "Tiny Yellow House" on youtube, and the forthcoming program "Creative Spaces" for The DIY Network. Aside from being author of the bestselling how-to/design book "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks", his work has appeared in several other books, and the NY Times (twice), Boston Globe, Yahoo.com, The Seattle Times, Treehugger,com, Salon.com, Apartment Therapy, Design Sponge, The Miami Sun, NPR, CBS, PBS, ABC, The History Channel, Spaces TV, The Boston Herald, BoingBoing.net, TinyHouseBlog, Playboy Magazine Online, and beyond. Derek also teaches building workshops nationwide for The Tumbleweed Tiny House Company, and built his very first cabin at the age of 10- one with heat, insulation, a bunk bed, and electricity. 
 
"The Gypsy Junker" an example of Deek's Salvaged/Free-Material Work....
kidcedar at gmail.com for questions, interviews/press

Signing up/Cancelations: If it turns out you can't make the workshop, and give us one month's notice, we'll refund you all your money- after that, you'll instead be credited with admission to any other workshop we have (and we will have more) in the future. If we have to cancel for any unseen reason, you'll obviously get all your money back.

 

34 comments:

  1. id like to see more interior shots of the lightbox when its finished ... wasn't it suppose to have a sleeping loft for 2 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, and yes, the loft will be able to sleep two- snuggly, but possible...

      Delete
  2. i'd love to attend. i've been following this movement for years. even went & obtained an arcitectural technology degree. i live in nc. but who has an extra freakin $399 laying around? i'm saving $ to buy land. is there a way to attend just some of the workshop at a reduced cost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might have some cheaper opportunities ahead, but few realize how insanely expensive these are to host, AND this workshop is still longer, and cheaper than most out there- AND its one of the few that is actually hands-on, and not just a 9-5 classroom day- its 40+ hours of contact time. Anyway, to set these up is crazy, cost wise, nevermind how much time and planning has to go into them ahead of time. Just the portapotti rentals set me back a few hundred dollars....add in workbooks, me having to fly (and two others to NC from New England to even teach this), and then all the nickel and dimed stuff you'd never think of, from snacks, to coffee, rain tarps, paper towels, utensils, soap, deliveries, 20 or so pizzas one night, and on and on....

      Delete
    2. Yikes, sounds like a ton of hard work! Thank you for hosting, I would love to come.

      Delete
  3. I'm in Georgia so NC isn't that far at all. Sadly, I'm in the same financial boat as Elle. Though given the detailed list of what you're offering, $400 really isn't that bad at all. Deek, how quickly do your workshops sell out? If I can scrape up the money, it wouldn't be until March as my new business isn't taking off nearly as quickly as I hoped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelley, each workshop varies on how quickly it sells out- worst case, you could always make a deposit to lock a slot. Still more demos and guests to be announced- its going to be crazy/fun! The networking and speakers alone are worth it, nevermind the building of a tiny house itself- which will be kick-arse!

      Delete
  4. Hoping to attend since I didn't have the funds to go to the Tumbleweed workshop in Orlando this month. I should get my tax refund the end of this month, beginning of next, so I'm hoping it doesn't fill up too quickly! The only thing I'm wondering is how much is it going to cost for lodging near the workshop? And how far away because I don't drive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jennifer- hope you can make it- it'll be fun! AND we might even still have MORE guest speakers! Budget-wise, there's camping/camp ground right nearby, which I know other people were interested in, so I'm sure there will be some car-pooling- it always works out. Its about 10 min away I'm told. Closer to the date I can always send a mass email to all that are signed up, and they can communicate, split rooms, help each other with transportation, and so on. We'll have several people with cars there....happy new year!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Deek! I'm hoping that it doesn't fill up before I get my refund, it'll be a bit later than expected because of the later filing date. I'm a single mom so I don't have a lot of 'extra' money. Camping is a great idea for me because I'm such a country girl! I love to tent camp & it's economical for me too. I'm also thinking about finding a bicycle to rent from someone for transportation if I can't find a ride since the campground's close to the workshop.

      Delete
    3. Hey jenn...still interested? We're very close to being sold out.....

      Delete
  5. Hey, we follow all you guys and are building our tiny house now in central NC. Once we finish this one my honey plans to build another in the woods behind our house. I would be happy to host a workshop at my house and I have plenty of space to camp. Just sayin'. Love, love, love tinyhouselistings and tinyhouseswoon and tumbleweed. Much luck on your workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea, and thanks! Lets possibly reconnect down the road....

      Delete
  6. Deek....this looks amazing!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to come to the Boston one soo badly. gonna try my diggitydamnest to DO THIS!!!!!! I heard deposit. I am a personal chef so how about a work trade for some catering??? You are my tiny house hero ;) and I'm gonna not try but DO make this happen with all the Maggie might I got! I am building a tiny house this year for my son and I and our tiny dwarf bunny and making a big project out of it and I just know this is gonna be a part of that build and much more to come! Much love, Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey maggie...appreciate the idea/offer, but we're set on that end for now...sorry! Your,project sounds great by the way! Good luck! Keep us informed one you begin!

      Delete
  7. deek..how much is the deposit for the workshop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ben! Sorry for the delay in reply.....its a full payment, and not a partial deposit to register...sorry....I just don't have the time to email and track down the payment balances later.....and would rather use that time to prepare for the workshop itself....

      Delete
  8. Just saw that Andy from Tiny Revolution gonna be there...that family is awesome!!! Making this happen! Tiny Houses, Big Love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot wait for my future tiny house. We are survivor of domestic violence and living in one room here, would like to go but We live in CT. When are you coming to MA pr PA, or not so far from here? Another question.. I have a daughter, she is 11. She Can go? How much we need to pay for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Pastora, she'd be fine, we had a 12 year old at the last workshop....sign up info and the payment/registration link....all above. Any questions...let me know! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Checking into time off work, costs, etc. Can you tell me what time events will begin and end on Fri. and Sun.? Also, 'where' in Willmington? (looking into motels). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dolly....
      Friday we begin at noon, but those who come later (many) will be caught up with the proceedings/demos when they arrive (its one of the benefits of having 3/4 instructors on hand!- and with a smaller intimate workshop too!). Its in Wilmington proper- the site is real close to Balsam Rd/Dr- two streets over- all those specifics will be emailed over if/when ou sign up. We're actually just about sold out, so if you're interested, don't wait too long. Take care :)

      Delete
  11. Hi,

    I want to purchase 2 tickets for the work shop. I don't see how to change the qty in the paypal screen so does that mean I do 2 separate transactions?

    Thanks,

    Wanda

    Please let me know ASAP so that I can grab the 2 spots before you sell out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey wanda, you can sign up for one at a time, worst case....or pay by check even....email me at kidcedar at gmail.com. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Hey - I live in wilmington and would love to go to this, but $400 is way out of my budget. Would you be willing to do some sort of barter for my time and labor. I could help out with the event ahead of time and during it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh man, this is the very first weekend I get back from my deployment and it's in my state! As much as I want to, my wife would kill me if I spent my first weekend back after being gone a year, with y'all building tiny homes. Hope you guys announce another NC workshop and I am there in a heart beat! Also, you're contending with Merlefest that entire weekend, NC's (and possible the East Coasts') biggest bluegrass festival. What are the chances y'all can push everything back a week just for me! C'mon! In all seriousness, wish you the best of luck with this! You have no idea how bad I wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So jealous. I'm in Wilmington, but we can't afford it right now. Ah well. Hope it turns out great for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Damn, I'm at a wedding that weekend. Is there a way to subscribe to find out if a 5th workshop weekend is announced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There might be a MA one at some point, but a different focus, and not sure when, or in VT, but not for a bit....

      Delete
  16. Hi, does the price include somewhere to stay or do we pay hotel as well? I have a car so I could drive down but I'm trying to figure the total cost of the trip.

    Xtine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Deek, First off, thanks for replying to all these comments. I've been trying to get in touch with people left and right and no one's replied for a couple weeks, still waiting. SO, what would you say are the main differences between your workshops and the other ones out there (PAD, Tumbleweed, etc) based on what you know about them? I'm drawn to this one because you have hands on building, and your structures stand apart from other tiny homes. Would you say people with no experience leave feeling ready to build their own house? Thank you for your time! You can also email me back at tbaubles@gmail.com if easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Derek,

    I've been following your blog and creative constructions for a couple of years now and I am very impressed with your works. Also the number of folks out there that are like minded.

    A few years back I got to work on my motorcycle shed. It took me a couple of summers to complete it, and honestly, it really isn't done yet. But it something I take pride in doing as I did it mostly myself with wood people and businesses were throwing out.

    I took progression pictures of the build and I thought you might like to see them. Deek, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you ever do these on the West Coast? I am in San Diego, CA and sometimes in Portland, OR, but all the Tiny House build by just about everyone out there seem to be on the far East Coast or Pennsylvania. Would love to attend one even in the Southwest, but can't make it all the way over there. Thanks

    ReplyDelete