joshua tree workshop 2018

Friday, December 16, 2011

The new book, a new sketch (#14 of SIXTY), and a very cool tiny "cube house" video

     In our facebook discussion group (join in the right column of this blog), Guy Montag tossed up this link saying "Deek, you inspired me to build tiny" (holy friggin' flattering! Thanks!). Check out this video of his simple, very cool, cabin- a very accessible design that reminds me a little of Lester Walker's "Vacation Cube. A good many things could be done with this simple, affordable design. Based on the door size, I'm guessing its a 10' by 10' cabin- which would have some room for a loft in the front area right over the door/entrance.



I also got word that all the new edition printings of "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks" are back from the printers (PRINTED IN THE USA! I made sure they didn't outsource the work), and a pre-release copy is on its way to me as I type this. A TON of work went into this book, and its updated version, so I can't wait to hold a copy in my hands and leaf through it a few dozen times.

Speaking of which, here's SKETCH #14 in our "SIXTY SHACK SKETCHES IN SIXTY DAYS"deathwish draw-a-thon- NOT from "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks"- most of this is all new stuff. This particular one was for a few different "Occupy" people who asked that I brainstorm some ideas for them. Its basically a cabin of mine called "The GoddaGiddaWay"- but longer, simpler, and without the stained glass window- and it has wheels.

A tiny, mobile shelter/cabin on wheels- originally sketched for a few friends (in Boston and Albany) who were encamped at their respective Occupy-movement locales. Sketch and design by Derek "Deek" Diedricksen
Off to make some homemade calzones!
Again too- we're slowly working towards announcing a 2012 tiny house/shelter building workshop here in Massachusetts- we'll let you know- and if interested- email me at kidcedar at gmail dot com. 
-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen