joshua tree workshop 2018

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

FIVE KICK-BUTT tiny housing videos/tours! (and Sketch #6 of our Cabin Concept Marathon!)

NEED TO WASTE YOUR BOSSES TIME WHILE ON THE CLOCK!? Look no further....

Here are some of the more-inspirational/unique videos I've seen recently, dealing with small housing, salvage/recycled material building, and tiny living in general....and further below, is sketch #6 in my "SIXTY SHACK SKETCHES IN SIXTY DAYS" lead up to the release of the NEW version of "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks"- which you can already order on Amazon.com for $11.49.

#1 This first one, from Kirsten Dirksen and faircompanies.com- it blows my mind that its not going semi-viral yet, I think its one of the more unique and fun tours she has done...


#2 "The Plastic Bottle House"- pretty darn amazing, and talk about stickin' to an idea/project... SOME GREAT ideas in terms of bottle re-usage too!


#3- A Tiny, Round Cordwood House Tour....I LOVE cordwood cabins, so I couldn't NOT include this one...


#4- from Michelle Wilson and the Hornby Island Caravan Crew (this one is in my upcoming new edition of the book too)- some great design/building ideas in here. I've used the raw-sticks shelving method before, and as you'll see, it looks great!


#5 An "oldie but goodie" and probably one of my favorite youtube videos of all time....A Shantyboat tour, loaded with humor....


 AND TODAY'S SKETCH- #6 of SIXTY- a old, simple idea for boy scout Ryer Appeldoorn, who wants to devise and build a small, portable shelter to stay in during his upcoming summer run where he'll be working at a scout camp. I'm an Eagle Scout, and have nothing but good things to say about scouting, so I'd love to see where this project goes and am trying to help Ryer out with some ideas....


THIS Sketch is NOT from "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks".....but another side effort/mini-book....


-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen