Tiny House Summer Camp 4

Monday, October 10, 2011

A micro store front/business in the North End of Boston- why rent more?


I wish I grabbed an closer interior photo, but this little gelato stand (which you actually can walk into to order) is a mere 8' by 8' and nestled between two long-existing buildings. If I had to guess, this formerly would have been an unused alleyway space, but in this section of town, where real estate is at a premium, no space shall be wasted. It looked like this tiny little gelato house was making a killing throughout the night too.

A micro "gelateria", where the newly formed space overhead has become a city deck for the bordering apartments.
A closer look at the micro-gelateria (photos by Derek "Deek" Diedricksen)


Less Overhead as a rental space- therefore, less "risk"
Less to insure in many cases
Less prone to break-ins (most would feel a smaller business would have less to steal, offer, etc)
Less headache/worry- as it would require a smaller cash outlay, or loans, to start-up
Less to clean and maintain on a daily basis
Less to heat

AND...if you pick the right product, even in a small space, you STILL could make sizeable profits (ie. I have talked to some lemonade and hot dog vendors before, who make an absolute killing). With this little gelateria, a small dish/cone was around $4.00, albeit in a high-rent city, but still, the ability to do financially well, even in a small space, IS there.

Make your small business MOBILE- and you also can follow the market, crowds, or economic trends, where the "gettin's good".

Only $11.53- the NEW edition of my book- order it through the link in the lefthand column of THIS blog....


  1. Great post Deek. I'm always fascinated by tiny business spaces like this one for all the same reasons you listed here. Talk to you soon!

  2. Mmmm gelato! What street is that on? Back in the 90's there used to be a take out chinese place on Hanover Street in about that space. I know, who would buy chinese in the north end anyway!

  3. It was off one of the side streets- between Hanover and Salem- right across from Pagliuca's- one parallel to Assagio's.

  4. Ok. I like your idea of recycled stuff and making Humble Homes or Simple Shacks. I will get the book, one of them at least but I do have a question.

    I want to build a simple shack for my 10 yr old daughter so she can hang out in it and read and have a sleep over with a friend. My backyard is real tiny. I did notice somewhere a 2 person shack, can't remember which video or blog or whatever. So Can you point me in the right direction for a small 2 person shack?

    Keep up the great work and ideas. Love your simpleness to everything. No crown molding! Just a humble home! Thanks Derek! Michael...

  5. Hey Michael- thanks for the kind words. The 2-person shack, was it on a video I hosted, or on the blog- I've featured many of then. Check "The Gypsy Junker" video on youtube for starters- and the book does have a ton more ideas as well- both the old, and new (amazon) version. Thanks!