Tiny House Summer Camp 4

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In-laws, outlaws, and granny flats- by Michael Litchfield (Tiny House Book Review)


Vintage fold down seating, and a wall-mounted/folding table
      Its been awhile since I filmed one of those "Man With The Ugly Hat" book review episodes (yeah, yeah, I know you're all SOOO disappointed (one is coming though!)), so in the meantime, I thought I'd toss up this quick review- with some cool small house/guest house photos...

 "In-laws, Outlaws, and Granny Flats" by Michael Litchfield was recently sent my way by Taunton Press (who have released a slew of great architectural books to date). "In laws" is not a "tiny house book" per se (surprisingly many of the in-law houses are rather large and to me, seemingly unaffordable)), but there are still MANY ideas, design schemes, inspirational layouts, and architectural approaches to from which one can harves-regardless of the budget you might be dealing with. Within, you'll find a gorgeous houseboat, some ultra-modern takes on backyard/2nd home living, and even a couple small scale gems, "Nancy's Windfall" being one of my favorites in this book (I couldn't find an online photo to share- sorry!).

    Also in this book's favor, its got PHOTOS galore- some gorgeous ones too! Luckily, the text and information offered up, from codes, to multi-tasking with furniture, is more thorough than a good many other books in the field- THIS, in addition to the wealth of eye candy between its covers, made this one a pretty enjoyable read- and this, keep in mind, is coming from one jaded reader, who has seen, and owns a slew of micro-architecture books. If you're looking to build that comfy in-law in the back, and need the ins and outs of doing so, this book would serve as a very good overview on how you can go about doing so.

Author, Michael Litchfield, has also started a blog, called CozyDigz, on FineHomebuilding.com about the adventures in small and shared housing. Visit his CozyDigz blog today. 

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen

Only $11.53- Order through the link above, or through amazon.com (same thing)


  1. And just when I thought there is no way I could put a dinning area in my new project. The only problem with Tiny House Design is that I will never get done waiting for the next great idea, I don't even have to think anymore. Just wait for the next creative person. The only problem with the door seat is I will have to design it a little different because I am a bit of heavy weight for that to hold me.

  2. The only problem with Tiny House Design is that I will never get done waiting for the next great idea.Really the article is informational and the images are also too good.Make home Solutions brings for you best quality Holiday Shacks where you can spend and enjoy your weekend vacations with your loved one and other family members.