joshua tree workshop 2018

Saturday, June 11, 2011

New tiny housing/fort/shack/treehouse book- and then some...

(More info will be posted on our Tiny Housing/Small Living Facebook Group's Page soon...HERE). 

     Early 2012, through The Lyons Press (home to tiny housing books from David and Jeanie Stiles, Shay Solomon, etc) is the NEW/current release period for the expanded, very tweaked version of my book "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks..." (a few underground copies remain- online only, for a little while- see the righthand column on THIS blog) but in the meantime, as I have to clean up my small house and ATTEMPT to downsize....

 An old pre-Humble Homes mini-book of mine, "Quick Camps and Leg Cramps" that I barely released in 2009, is going to be offered up on my website soon. I retouched a few things quite a ways back, added a newer cover early last year, and after the attendees in my 2011 Relaxshacks.com Workshop here in MA (July 9th) all get a copy of it as part of this tiny shelter/house building course- I'll soon after re-release/re-post it here on the site....

Basically its a small packet-style zine/mini book- only about 26 pages or so.....but in "slop sketch" brainstorm-form. Its composed of some of the initial ideas for "Humble Homes..." way back when, in their raw, unedited form- and many ideas that never made the book for lack of room, and well, because some of them were just too "out there". I think you guys will dig it in a fun, bizarre sense. I've always wanted to see the behind-the-scenes, rough sketch notebooks of many architects and tiny house designers, and basically, no holds barred, nothing "purtied-up", this is what this book is all about. So, sometime after July, I'll have it up and available again- as I have about 200 or so dusty copies I just never got around to doing anything with.

I might consider releasing it in e-zine/e-book form too....but I have to work on that. 

I'm going to work out a portion of the proceeds to some soon-to-be-named charity too.....or perhaps towards the funding of a few of those micro-homeless huts/shelters I've been talking about.

"THE U.B. 30 Treehouse"- which we built only recently- is, idea-wise, from one of the sketches in this book....Here's its video tour...



-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen