joshua tree workshop 2018

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"The Blue Crab"- A micro, plywood, skiff/kayak/canoe- that transforms....and doubles as a tiny shelter!

"The Blue Crab"- a tiny kayak/rowboat/canoe (tiny "house"/shelter-boat (eventually))- made from ONE sheet of plywood more or less (built and designed by Derek "Deek" Diedricksen). And YES, it has a thick plexiglass window in the floor- that will be covered by a protective hatch down the road.

 'Been workin' on this for a bit- just messin' around- and I've been shooting "how-to" or "how-not-to" (hyuk!) footage all along to make it into a "TINY YELLOW HOUSE" show episode down the road- perhaps for Make Magazine.
I don't mind showing photos of it now, as its not really anything top secret or mega-cool, AND more so because it is far from done. These photos actually represent what this tiny little plywood (one sheet) boat looked like many days ago. Its since been trimmed out, stained, seated, and then some....

I've dubbed it "The Blue Crab"- and it will transform into a micro-sleep/rain shelter when complete- and have a tiny little canopy roof perhaps, when I'm finished with 'er. I plan on trying it out this weekend even- on Walden Pond (time pending), and later filming it in a brackish tidal river on the South Shore of MA, where yup, I'll probably be blue-crabbin'.


I can't wait to try it out, and if all works as planned, I'll tell you exactly how it was made, sealed, for how much, and so on, down the road.... She ain't purty, but I'm hoping it'll make for one effective, and insanely cheap/thrifty boat.

(this project was/is partly inspired by Phil Bolger, Papa Neutrino, and the Triloboat duo)

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen