joshua tree workshop 2018

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

“The Tree-Rex Treehouse”- A micro-cabin and homeless shelter for $100

A cabin/treehouse shaped like a dinosaur/t-rex!??
Also- Stained Glass art is courtesy of Satialee on Etsy.com- check out her work HERE
Here’s what I’ve been working on lately- a conglomeration of a design from my book ”Humble Homes, Simple Shacks…” and from one in my new, in-the-works, micro-architecture book. This is a two-in-one: A mini homeless/emergency shelter (for just barely over $100 in materials- and ultra-easy to build!), designed to keep its occupant out of the rain and elements, AND as the head of what will soon be “The Tree-Rex Treehouse“- perched high in a maple in my backyard (with a tail, arms, etc- the works…). We’ll probably leave this around long enough for the attendees of my 2011 Relaxshacks.com Hands-On, Tiny Shelter/House Building Workshop (here in MA) to check out too (along with 3-4 other mini cabins on my property).
I additionally shot a mini video or two on this which I’ll post down the road. I’ve also been working on this in the snow- and I mean LOTS of snow, and negative-degree temperatures. I think its safe to say that I’m looking forward to warmer weather!
'WITH the stained glass window- art by Stephanie Atlee aka "Satialee" on Etsy.com- she's awesome!
We also just shot a REALLY cool/fun video for Make Magazine, and hope, perhaps, to shoot one on “The Tree-Rex” should they be interested- it’d be pretty hilarious.
-Derek “Deek” Diedricksen