joshua tree workshop 2018

Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Log Cabin in Northern Vermont- 20' by 20'- a tiny-house photo tour

   

     Here are a few more photos from my recent trip to the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont with my brother Dustin. This is the neighbor's log cabin that we stayed in- a first for me. This cabin resides at the very end of the dirt road that my land is on as well. We've stayed in my own camp/cabin in sub zero temperatures before (we didn't have heat then, just really good sleeping bags), but this time around, with an offer to stay on the plate, I thought it'd be cool (we had a few friends up as well) to stay in a log cabin for change. In the upper front of the cabin you can see a newly installed solar panel, a harbor freight $159 one, that worked very well. I'll be curious to see how it lasts, but we had two cfl bulbs on for a seven hour stretch and the marine battery was still holding a strong charge. I've been tempted to get one of these solar kits to mess around with it myself, and now having seen one in action, I just may have to pull the trigger. I linked the exact kit below, for anyone interested in reading up on its specs.


The remnants of past dinners on another nearby log cabin
After night two we awoke to find it snowing, and proceeded to pack out stuff up quickly as we have to drive up a hill or two on backroads to get out of these woods- without 4x4 vehicles. We re-parked our cars on "safer" grounds to resume work on my little place (see one of the more recent posts).


My Brother Dustin, walking down the trail to our camp.....there is no road, just a winding trail to keep the structure hidden
A propane heater for a shower- which we didn't get to try
My Vermont Cabin (some new photos will be in the new edition of my book- link below)- a quarter-mile away from the log cabin

The single 10' by 10' bedroom in the back- there are several matresses in the loft, which I couldn't get any good shots of- sorry.


Just make sure you do some price comparisons when looking at solar panels and solar gear- there can be a huge difference- esp. when you factor in shipping, and so on.

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen