joshua tree workshop 2018

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Repurposing Junk Yard Crap (decorating your low budget tiny house)....the tea kettle flower hanger...


      Yahoo.com and a crew of 10 filmmakers came out from NYC to my backyard the other weekend to film a segment on my work and my "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks" book, for a show called "Mysteries Of Men". It was alot of fun, my brother Dustin was in on the mix, and beforehand I made sure to give the Gypsy Junker and my remaining tiny cabins/shelters a makeover. I built a new deck in front of them (with free deck demolition lumber), landscaped a little, and more.
    Anyway, I had purchased some Marigolds, and ended up having more than I had pots for, so I quickly grabbed this orange tea kettle (found at the town recycling center), and a freebie dog leash from the vets, and rigged this little hanging "flower basket". It worked well, and I love the look.....


I've had airbnb.com ask me a few times now, for the sake of odd and unusual listings, to offer up my trio of cabins as "camp or glamping style" lodging for travelers (for rent)- but I'm not sure the wife ever would go for it, and more so, if anyone would ever even be interested. Who knows.....

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen