joshua tree workshop 2018

Thursday, May 24, 2012

TWELVE "DAMN FABULOUS" TINY HOUSE, CABIN, and SMALL HOUSE INTERIORS

Proof that mere plywood floors can look GREAT. I love the open feel, and height of this little home- although heating all that dead, lofty, space is a waste in the trade-off.
 I've been doing a lot of brainstorming, planning, and sketching, in anticipation for "Tiny House Summer Camp" (July 6-9th), a four day tiny-house-building workshop that I'm hosting, and as a result, have been going back over many bookmarked photos I have harbored. The ones you see here are either shots of mine for the book "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks" (link is below), from www.tinyhouseswoon.com, or other various blog locales.
     Each tiny house represented here, to me, offers something very appealing by way of spatial design, arrangement, and color. Three of the offerings are my own work/builds, and after wrestling back and forth with the idea, I went and included them- after all, they are exactly what I like in tiny decor, color, and layout.

Great layering/leveling here, so as to maximize space for usage. This one almost has a stark, nautical feel, but still finds a way to come off as looking comfortable. (The Leaf House).
Made from 95% junk- "The Gypsy Junker" micro-cabin that I built/designed. If you had to, it could sleep three- one up top, and two on the floor, in a mere "shelter" sense. I just love the natural light and colors that this little cabin always seems to capture. (Photo by Bruce Bettis).
I've always wanted to make simple corrugated poly/plastic walls, and this photo is proof that this approach looks decent, works well, and would be very cost effective. The R value would SUCK though.
This is from a series of photos that I took in Seattle, of Steve Sauer's Pico Dwelling- a 182 square foot apartment that utilizes living levels more than almost any tiny dwelling I've seen before. What a great guy Steve was, and I hope to include some photos of his place in my next book. Christopher Smith (Tiny: The Movie) is seen behind the camera, and this shoot will end up as a future edition of my show "Tiny Yellow House" on youtube.
Another Seattle shot, and I figured we had to at least have one simple, yet cool looking, bathroom represented. This is a wet bath (shower stall with a toilet in it, more or less), with a homemade salad bowl sink, a "VAN-ity" mirror, and some funky tiling. Hal Colombo, of Freemont, WA is the mastermind behind this 68 square foot rentable dwelling. Check out airbnb.com. A GREAT, and very fun, host. 
Nicolette Stewart from Germany furnished/built this little wagon dwelling for under $2000 USD (equivalent). The woman's got some style!
I'm a big fan of shipping container homes, and this one's got such a great, open, and light, vibe. I really dig the wood paneling, and sink/cabinet set-up.
What's not to like about this hippied-out, stained glass adorned, treehouse?
Another one of my cabins "The Boxy Lady"- only 14 square feet, and designed as a sleepable kiosk for craft fairs, it gets much in the way of natural light, and yes, was built with free, discarded materials. Its a very fun, and cozy place to hang out with a book. 
Graham Burnett from the UK built this one to serve as his backyard office/shed/guest hut. I really like its look of haphazardly placed windows- even more-so, recycled ones....
Starting at age 22, I set upon building this cabin, in Vermont, with no plan, no electricity, and no running water to help me out. Its where we'll be holding (one of many cabins in the area) "Tiny House Summer Camp" in July (2012). I am a huge fan of natural wood, and this has lots of it!