joshua tree workshop 2018

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sushi Box- a Shipping Container Restaurant (a fitting model for a micro house) in Texas


I've been away the last three days in the deep woods of Vermont at my camp/cabin- no running water, no electricity, no computer, and so on- and took a ton of new photos of some of the work we've been doing up there (my brother Dustin and I), which I'll soon share. In the meantime, I had this one saved from earlier in the year and realized I never had posted it.
     All you shipping container/conex box housing fans out there, you'll love the simplicity of this one. not to mention the affordability, I'm sure- as most used containers this size on run $2000-$3000.
     Containers are a great option to consider if you're looking into downsizing and building a low-cost micro-home/tiny house. There are an enormous amount of books on the subject now.



Both of my books, "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks" and "Quick Camps and Leg Cramps" have Conex Box/Storage Container ideas/sketches/plans in them- and I've drafted many more in the meantime, which I'll get up on the blog eventually.

The SushiBOX Restaraunt is an Eatery That Knows How to Pack it In

The SushiBOX Restaurant brings Japan’s reputation for excellent space efficiency to the downtown core of Austin, Texas.
The compact eatery fits snugly inside a 20’ shipping container that has three sides, which can unfold to create open awnings. Because it was built on a trailer chassis, the SushiBOX restaurant is also potentially mobile, but for now the remarkable (and insulated!) and efficient establishment has no plans to relocate.
The SushiBOX Restaurant was able to open up shop without causing any greenhouse gasses because the business chose to recycle. Using a shipping container as a restaurant is not only eco-friendly, but has the ability to attract many people because of its uniqueness. (Write up from Trendhunter.com)

-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen