joshua tree workshop 2018

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

NYC "Ain't So Big" Afterall....Tiny Vending Carts As Mobile Shelter Possibilities

A micro dumpling truck, bicycle-powered, in NYC
      As I mentioned in the other most recent blog post, last weekend was a hurricane of tiny house speaking events and traveling for me- from Walden Woods (where I have two cabins on display for the next week or so) to NYC, where I was invited to guest speak for Jay Shafer's Tumbleweed Tiny House Company Workshop, AND some building (a new project) in between. Out there in NYC I met some GREAT people, received a tour of a box truck party (a mobile, guerilla art installation out in Queens- 15 trucks o' interactive art) from my host Jon Kalish (thanks for all Jon/Pam!), and snapped many a photo.


In this case, here are a few shots of a mobile, bicycle powered, vending cart, which, with a tiny bit of tweaking and lengthening, could make for an interesting, foot-powered, short-term, shelter. Better yet, I wonder if there could be some way to allow your day of pedaling this bike/future-shelter to power/charge a set of batteries, later to be used for lighting, cell/laptop charging, and beyond.

Also, for the fun of it, a shot of one of the smaller cars I've seen in awhile- I was tempted (and I'm sure many try) to see if I could lift up an end of it, Mr.T-style. I didn't. I'm older, "wiser", and my back's already been hurting me.


A public park table w/seats in NYC- each seat swivels to sit on-top-of, or cradled, within one another. This might work well in a modern tiny house design.
Catchin' some Z's on the ride back to Boston, from NYC.
My book, Only $11.53- the NEW edition- via the link in the lefthand column of this blog or amazon.com (same thing).
-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen